Grant Proposal for Atlas Shrugged
Posted by Jerry on September 29, 2008
The Atlas Economic Research Foundation is calling for proposals for grant money to promote the ideas of Atlas Shrugged. Here is the relevant part of the press release:
“Proposals should outline at least two educational events or activities designed to achieve the goals of the proposed program. This can be translation and/or distribution of the book, events such as book launch, reception, discussion forum, seminars, courses, press conferences, or any creative form of educational outreach such as a movie, interviews, contests, etc.
Proposals should include a draft budget of how the money would be spent and a timeline of how the project would be executed.
Grant proposals are due in English by October 15, 2008. Proposals should be submitted by e-mail to Ms. Yiqiao Xu at email@example.com.”
The grant is made possible by the BB&T Bank.
I am working with the Liberty Institute to secure this grant and here’s the preliminary set of ideas I have come up with. I’m posting these up here to get feedback and additional ideas on how best to promote the ideas of Atlas Shrugged in India. Please note that the deadline for submitting the proposal is very near.
- Essay contest on Atlas Shrugged—across Indian colleges—with cash prizes for 3 winners.
- Create professionally designed brochures and pamphlets of key ideas from Atlas Shrugged:
- Francisco’s Money speech
- Excerpts from John Galt’s speech
- Other excerpts that highlight philosophical and artistic integration
Leverage these brochures on all events, activities, cross-country trips, bookstores, etc.
- Create and distribute large-sized posters of Atlas Shrugged and Ayn Rand across large-chain bookstores in India–to raise the visibility and sales of the novel.
- Discussion seminars across various locations in India on themes from the Atlas Shrugged–moderated by me or representatives from the Liberty Institute
- Philosophical themes for college professors from philosophy departments
- The artistic merits of Atlas Shrugged—for students, artists, and professors from theaters, art institutes, and colleges
- Panel of experts session on the moral theory of Atlas Shrugged versus other moral theories:
- Panel of clerics, NGO representatives, journalists, doctors, scientists, etc.
- Screening of the documentary film Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life on a cross-country tour across major movie chains such as PVR Cinemas–perhaps with the additional help and sponsorship of the American Center in Mumbai, tied-in with promotions of Atlas Shrugged—distributing brochures, books on sale, etc.
- Buy media space (in newspapers and online media such as emails, etc.) for promotions of the above-mentioned events and activities